Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Coming back to Earth

I still haven't come down from the high of the Awesome Austin Writers' Workshop this past weekend (see my entry about that), or recovered completely from my whole insane past week, which also included finishing a novel draft, getting my first-ever cat, getting major car repairs, and doing a whirlwind job of interviewing people and writing my monthly freelance column when the deadline got pushed up.

Yesterday, I never got out of my pajamas! I didn't sleep all day, but didn't leave the house, either (though my kitty cat went to the vet with my husband). Today, I'm slowly trying to get back to Earth. My house looks like a few clutter bombs exploded, so there's that to take care of, plus my older kids decided to share a room and we need to rearrange stuff in a few rooms because of it. But I also need to determine what's next on the writing front.

On the reading front, I can finally start reading The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart, which I bought a few weeks ago and haven't had a moment to read. I also want to run out and get the new books of some of my fellow workshop participants, especially A Thousand Never Evers by Shana Burg and How NOT to Be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler.

As for writing, I have this newly drafted midgrade novel I need to figure out what to do with. With luck I can get it critiqued and get back to that later. Then I'm only 20,000 words into the novel manuscript I had critiqued at the workshop, and people there were after me to finish it (yikes, pressure!). I also have my old YA, which desperately needs a revision. My original idea was to work on the old YA next, to get a better handle on the YA form with something that's more complete, then come back to the new one and apply what I learned. But after the workshop, the characters from my new one are calling out to have their stories told!

Oh yeah, and a few photos from the workshop that I haven't already seen on other blogs...these are courtesy of Cynthia Leitich Smith. Also note Liz Garton Scanlon and Jennifer Ziegler have now blogged about this, too.


L to R: Liz Garton Scanlon, me, April Lurie (in the back row), Erin Edwards, Philip Yates


(I'm in the red again. That's Chris Barton in the center, Carmen Oliver with her back to the camera, and Julie Lake in the very back. Jennifer Ziegler is barely visible on the right.)


L to R: me, Jane Peddicord, Chris Barton (in back), Debbie Gonzales (in back), Greg Leitich Smith


L to R: Brian Anderson (in back), me, Philip Yates, April Lurie (behind Philip), Varian Johnson, Varsha Bajaj, Lindsey Lane

(And don't forget to read my previous AAWW post if you missed it.)

1 comment:

jenniferziegler said...

Amazing, life-changing, awesome ...
Yes, yes, and heck yeah!

Thanks for making a newbie like me feel so welcome. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. And thanks for the friendship!

Can we do it again this weekend????

Jenny