Sunday, July 22, 2001

Temptation Aisle: Have you ever noticed how stores put tons and tons of impulse items along even the express checkout lane? There I am with my 10 items or less, or 20 items or less (should be fewer, but most stores say less), and I usually have just that many items...and there's that Twix, or that magazine, or pack of batteries I need, or whatever, just daring me to put it in the cart. Do I take something else out of my cart and put it where it isn't supposed to go, so I can buy this new item I want more? Do I bury the urge for the new item? Or do I risk the express lane police by sticking that extra item--or items--in my cart? I half-expect alarms to sound and handcuffs to close around my wrists if I do, or at least I expect a nasty look from the person behind me. I think it's cruel and unusual to put so much eye candy in the express lane, when most people are barely squeaking through it with the right number of items as it is....

No comments: