Sunday, March 12, 2006

Stuff for a Sunday

And now for your reading tedium pleasure, I got these from a random blog I happened upon, and liked them enough to answer them.

1. If you could trade places with one person in your family for a week, who would you choose? And would you want to trade as they are now, or sometime in the past (or future)? I'd probably want to trade with my husband, to see what's going on in his brain! I wouldn't want to be him this week because he's been having a crazily busy week at work. It might be cool to trade with him for a week back when we were dating, or even for a week of his childhood so I could see what that was like. I wouldn't mind trading with one of my kids, either, though that might be scary!

2. What were you doing 1 year ago this month, and are you more or less satisfied with your life today? 1 year ago this month, I went to a picture book workshop with Lisa Wheeler and a talk by A.M. Jenkins, both of which were fantastic. I also got a lot of writing done that month & hung out with writer friends, and 1 year ago today, I found myself in a fascinating 3-hour online chat with author & NPR commentator Daniel Pinkwater (it was just him, me, & one other writer I know). I was living in Texas instead of Florida. Honestly, it was a great month I was a lot more satisfied with my life that month than this one (so far), but considering that my husband was out of work then, and would be for the next 8 months, some things are better now!

3. Do you prefer watching television over surfing the internet? This is such a humongous NO for me! I'm a complete Internet junkie & feel lost without it. I rarely watch TV, & could easily go a long time without it (preferably when Survivor is over for the season...Survivor & The Office are the only things I go out of my way to watch right now, & I record those on the DVR).

4. Outside of the U.S., where would you live and why? I'm not sure! When I was 11 my family lived in Paris for a few months, & that was cool, but I feel too old to start over now in a place where I don't speak the language. I'd probably pick somewhere in the UK just because it's more familiar to me, or Canada because it's closer to home. If I went with the UK I'd probably pick London because I'm a city girl (I went a little nuts when I spent some time in Oxford & everything besides pubs closed up at 6 pm), but my heritage is Scottish & I really love Wales, so I might chance one of those places.

5. When you leave your home, do you ever feel paranoid that you've left something behind? Yes, and I often have! In fact, I somehow managed to fly from Texas to Florida and back without any identification or credit cards just a few months ago, which you can imagine was quite a security hassle at the airports! (And the trip before that, I forgot my cell phone & dress shoes.) I also drove across town this week just to use a coupon, only to find out I'd left the coupon at home.

6. What song or songs would you want played at your own funeral and why? This is just not something I think about! My husband has his funeral music picked out (Fauvre's Requiem, which I believe he describes as a sort of joyful requiem), but I don't so much care what they play after I'm gone. There's a musical version of the 23rd Psalm that I'm partial to...ideally my friend Jeff would attend and play that or one of the minor key, early American hymns he plays so well on the guitar. Otherwise I'd probably choose the song "My Deliverer" by Rich Mullins, which I think is one of the most powerful songs ever written (eerily, written shortly before his untimely death & recorded by other musicians afterwards), though I'm not sure it would make sense to sing that my deliverer "is coming" if I'd already been delivered from this life! ;-) (Leave it to me to be picky about grammar & verb tense after death.)

No comments: